This is the "VolvoxWIKI"!
If you are a graduate student in Ecology, Evolution or Systematics (EES) at the LMU, then this website is also yours. You can add and edit almost everything on this website once you have created a login and the administrator has given you the rights to change things (for this please contact Carlos Merino (merino"at"zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de).
If you are not (yet) a graduate-student in ecology, evolution or systematics, then please use this website to find the information you need.
If you write an article or change one, please leave your name and the date at the end. Thanks!
Volvox Social: Wednesday January 28th at 17:00 in the Ecology Seminar Room
Hey everybody! Volvox is having its wintersemester social this week, we hope to see you all there! There will be pizza, cake, snacks, drinks, wine and beer. We will even be showing a short film.
This time we are having the social in a new room, on the 2nd floor in the Ecology Seminar Room.
This purpose of this Volvox social is well, purely social! There are a lot of new PhD and masters students which have joined the EES this year and we thought this would be a nice opportunity for everybody to get to know each other a bit better.
- We look forward to seeing you! *
-Volvox also plans to invite a speaker for spring 2009!!! Ideas welcome: General theme
will be the interface between science and society
Info about courses, meetings, grants and prizes
- List of Conferences and summerschools and how to get money from the EES travel fund.
- Write a brilliant german text about your thesis and win the Klaus-Tschira Preis.
- Win a prize for a PhD, Diplomarbeit or project in ecology: link
- Prizes for systematic research see link
- Another prize for systematic research: Bernhard Rensch Preis der GfBS.
- Courses at the LMU (only in German).
- For women with kids: the Nüsslein-Volhard Stiftung can make juggling your carreer and your family a bit easier.
- Here is a database of what people is can help you with, you can also add topics in which you can help people out.
- LMU professional development (also in German).
- LMU Weiterbildung.
- The courses and seminars that were offered last Winter Semester.
Here you will find information about past events, as well as Volvox internal information. This section is meant to keep track of the history of Volvox. It is also meant to recycle some good ideas that should be re-implemented (for example if there was a course or workshop that you missed you can ask for it to be organized again or access some information about it). Since this section is just being started (June 2007) expect to see it grow in the future.
- The Volvox community - all the Students in this Wiki and the organization of Volvox.
- Volvox and also the EESLMU are spread across a few Locations.
- !!! Join the Mailinglist !!!.
- Volvox Social Meeting, October 2007.
- Read about past VolvoxMeetings
- The unofficial minutes of previous organisational meetings.
- Volvox in Pictures, take a look at us.
- 1st Volvox workshop: Carlos Merino, PhD student with Prof. Stephan, organized an Introductory Workshop on Open Office Writer and Latex. For further details click here.
- The Workshop on presentation skills for PhD students in EES had unfortunately to be cancelled. If you are still interested, contact Pleuni Pennings. If there are enough people we could offer it again!
- The First Volvox PhD seminar on 29.11.2007 was a hugh success! Maynard Smith prize winner Patricia Beldade from the University of Leiden gave a talk on Evolutionary diversification of form followed by lunch, a round-table discussion and time slots to talk to Patricia one on one.
- Volvox was represented by a poster on the >interact PhD symposium on 7.12.2007.
General info for your PhD
- Book recommendations and reviews.
- Some advice for PhD students.
- Writing the thesis and defending it.
- Suggestions on how to write a paper and how to give a good talk.
- Some hints about how to search for literature.
- download e-Books from the university library
- mastering foreign languages: on-line dictionaries and tips for grammar
- Important mailinglists.
- How to use the colourcopier at the BioZentrum as colourprinter
- For help with your statistics you could contact Stablab, a service of the LMU statistics department to help researchers with statistics.
EESLMU stands for the Munich Graduate School for Evolution, Ecology and Systematics.
On the EESLMU wiki , you can find information on
- Wikis on Evolutionary Biology & Co..
- Info about Language Courses, evening schools, etc.
- a similar organization in Lausanne.
- the German organization for Doktoranden.
- a list of all evolution groups in Germany (we'll be in the list soon).
- If you need to change the rooms that you are allowed to open in the Biozentrum: Transponder.
This website works just like WikiPedia, which uses a software called MediaWiki.
To find out how to make new pages go here.
Please see documentation on customizing the interface
and the User's Guide for usage and configuration help.
If you have any questions about this site, you can contact Carlos Merino (merino"at"zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de).
Many thanks to Pieter van Beek who set up this wiki for us.